Share with you my successful experience in setting up 10.6.2 Snow Leopard in Lenovo S10-2. Now with the installation guides below, you can too transform your Lenovo S10-2 netbook becoming a Macbook and start writing apps for submission to appstore the same like i do.
NOTE: Try at your own risk, this site holds NO responsibility if something goes wrong.
- you’ll need Lenovo S10-2 netbook.
- you’ll need external DVDR.
- you’ll need Snow Leopard retail DVD (USD $29).
- you’ll need at least 8GB USB thumbdrive.
- you’ll need a copy of Netbookbootmaker app.
Three major steps to install Snow Leopard (image below):
1) Copy OSX retail DVD to your USB thumbdrive.
2) Make your USB thumbdrive bootable.(you’ll need an existing pc running on OSX)
3) Boot with your S10-2 with USB thumbdrive.
Scroll below to details setup guides…..
Step 1) Copy OSX Snow Leopard DVD to your USB Thumbdrive
- Lenovo S10-2 remains shutdown.
- Connect external USB DVDR to your S10-2.
- Put in OSX retail DVD.
- Connect 8GB/16GB USB thumbdrive to your S10-2.
- Power up your Lenovo S10, press F12 for boot sequence.
- Select your external DVD drive (with your OSX retail DVD) to boot up.
- The machine restarts, in installation menu, open disk utilities.
- Select the 8GB/16GB USB thumbdrive & press on partition tab, set:
@@Volume scheme: 1 partion
@@Format: Mac OSX Extended
@@Options: Master Boot Record
- Click Ok, Apply & Partition.
- Once partition finished, click restore tab.
- Drag “Mac OSX Install DVD” from your left pane to source field.
- Drag “OSXDVD” to the destination source at right pane.
- Click restore.
- It may take sometimes, go have a cup of coffee while waiting.
- Once finished, close disk utility & eject DVD. You are ready for Step 2.
Step 2) Make your USB thumbdrive bootable (you’ll need exisiting PC running OSX)
- Download the Netbookbootmaker app from google code.
- You’ll need a mac’s help to do this.
Note: I do not have a mac, thus prior to this, i ran MSIWinOSX86.iso (it’s simple just download this iso from the web and make DVD disc to boot up, the 10.5.4 works on S10-2) on my lenovo s10.2. I downloaded Netbookbootmake app to my lenovo s10-2 OSX 10.5.4 and proceeded to make USB thumbdrive bootable.
- Open up Netbookbootmaker app in your mac, warnings> click open.
- For USB partition, select OSXDVD
- Click prepare Boot drive.
- Enter password & click OK. This may take a little while.
- Once finished, close the app and eject USB thumbdrive.
- You are now good to go for Step 3.
- If you do have a 10.6.2 combo update, copy to your USB thumbrive optional folders.
Step 3) Boot your S10-2 with USB thumbdrive
- With your Lenovo S10-2 turned off. Plug in the USB thumbdrive.
- Power on S10-2, press F12 to select boot sequence.
- Select your USB thumbdrive to boot up first.
- S10-2 boots up again with your thumbdrive.
- You should see Apple logo and spinning wheel.
- Once loaded, select language, press continue or enter.
- Press continue on the welcome screen, then press agree.
- Click on menu bar>utilities>disk utilities:
- Select your hard drive to configure it for Snow Leopard installation (in this guide it suggest 1 partition for only Snow Leopard installation, if you wanted to prepare for dual boot Snow leopard and windows 7, you’ll have to select 2 partitions for name the top partition to be Windows & and format Fat32, below if purely for 1 partition single OS running snow leopard partition with format mac OS extended journaled):
@@ Volume scheme: 1 partition
@@ Name: OSX
@@ Format: Mac OS Extended (journaled)
@@ Options: GUID partition table
- Click OK, Apply & Partition.
- When finished, closed disk utilities.
- Continue by selecting your newly formatted drive for OS installation.
- Press OK to install. That’s all ! Wait for installation to complete.
- Your lenovo S10-2 should restart itself and you’ll see welcome screen in different languages flying. Go ahead proceed to put in your details to setup your account. You have a 10.6.0 installed !
Step 4) Optional: Make your snow leopard fully functional & upgrade 10.6.2:
- This is an additional step to make your S10-2 running more perfectly on Snow Leopard.
- If you have 10.6.2 combo package, install it & restart. No issues.
- Now, go to OSX>System>Library>Extensions, search for AppleHDA.kect
- Move AppleHDA.kext to trash.
- Download VooDooHDA.kext & Kext Helper from web.
- Install VooDooHDA driver with Kext Helper to enable sound.
- I didn’t upgrade 10.6.3, as it crashed when i installed. Share later.
- If you wanted a dual boot Snow Leopard & Windows 7, like i said, during the partition configuration stage earlier, you’ll need 2 partition in your hard drive, select 2 partition, one partitioned with Fat32 and one partitioned with Mac OS Extended (journaled), the one with Fat32 format is to get ready yourself for Windows 7 setup. If you had that, boot up Windows7 DVD by pressing F12 select DVD drive and continue to install. Go ahead select your fat32 partitioned drive to be re-formated during windows7 setup. Once installation completes, you will boot up with Windows 7 OS and no longer sees your earlier installed Snow Leopard, but no worries, go online to download EasyBCD (its a free tool), using EasyBCD to add entry x86 OSX OS you installed earlier, save it & restart. During boot up, you’ll see bootloader display 2 OSes Windows7 & OSX, you now have dual boot Lenovo S10-2 ! I hope this guide really help you, i tried to be as detail as possible, but again, no guarantee given, try this AT YOUR OWN RISK.
RSS 2.0 | leave a response | trackback